Sunday, November 11, 2018

Prayer

I was asked to give the talk last night at an Emmaus gathering.  Here is my talk...


Good Evening.  My name is Kim Saunders and I was on Denton Area Emmaus Walk #66 and I sat at the table of Martha.

Since the walk, I am very committed to attending my reunion group; we usually eat dinner together once a week. This group of ladies is awesome. I know that I pray for each one and I know that they pray for me. When I need specific prayers, I text them and I know that they will pray along with me.
I have always had a fairly good prayer life, but it is even better and stronger since my walk. I frequently pray in my car on the way to and from work.  When I feel that I’m not close to God, I turn on a Christian radio station and I thank the person who did the talk on Study – because she mentioned listening to Christian music.  I like and listen to all kinds of music but sometimes I just need Jesus and Christian music delivers that to me.

Since the walk, I have learned that prayer is not just me talking to God but also me being quiet enough to hear God speak to me. Sometimes this happens even when I’m not actively praying.  This year – 2018 – I have had three things that I’ve been praying about. Like…praying about them all the time, asking God if he heard me already and should I stop and trust that he heard me or should I pray without ceasing and keep bugging him about these three things. .. and I would just keep praying because I didn’t know what else to do.  In October, two of the prayers were answered with a resounding “YES” – here is the answer. 

The other one I’m still praying, trusting, and waiting.  But that prayer – it is about my daughter – I know that God has under control and the current answer is to WAIT.  You see, my daughter has graduated from seminary but hasn’t been called to a church. Her husband is looking for a new job which could take them anywhere.  So as she would tell me where he was looking, I would create an Excel spreadsheet about that city, the Lutheran churches there, etc.  I,  with the help of my spreadsheets was going to find her a church!!!  Then as I sat at my computer, I heard – not out loud but heard very clearly God say to me “You know I got this”!  Well if that isn’t the best answer to prayer.  So I keep praying about it, not because I think God will forget, but because I need to remind myself that “God’s got this”

If you are having a difficult time praying, ask your reunion group, or other Christian friends to pray too.  Try listening to Christian music, or reading a Christian magazine, or attending a bible study.  God is always right there, but sometimes we need some help in seeing that.

If you, too, are praying about something, remember to not only talk to God, but give Him space to talk to you too.

Thank you.

No comments: